Wednesday, September 12, 2007

Teaching moments

I was in Upstate New York this weekend attending a memorial service for a member of my husband's family. On Sunday morning, the extended family was sitting around the breakfast table reading the Sunday comics.

My husband hands me the comics because of this and says "You'll think this is funny. You're the only person I've ever heard say the word 'folksonomies.'"

I read the strip and laughed quite a bit.

The rest of the people at the table looked at me expectantly.

I spent the next 15 minutes explaining folksonomies, tagging, and controlled vocabulary.

What's better, at the end of the 15 minutes, the people at the table weren't looking at me glassy eyed.

I was reminded that I can have a hand in turning people on to libraries even when I'm not at work. A discussion over the Sunday comics can be a way to open people up to what the library does (and can potentially do) for them.

No comments: